Mahshi Warak Enab
- 1 lb. fresh tender vine leaves
- 2 cups ground or chopped meat, preferably lamb
- Several meat bones or cubes of meat
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium sized tomato, chopped (optional)
- 2 medium onions sliced.
Mahshi Warak Enab Preparation
- Soften and blanch vine leaves by dipping a few at a time in boiling, salted water. Set aside. Wash rice and put cup of warm water for 15min , take of the water and mix with ground meat , salt, pepper and oil. Stuff one leaf at a time. Place a teaspoon of stuffing in the center of each. Fold the bottom of the leaf up over the stuffing, then fold from each side to the middle. Roll tightly to form a cylinder about three inches long and somewhat thicker than a cigar (see the picture).
- Arrange mahshi over layer of bones and sliced tomatoes and onion. When all has been added, press down firmly with palm of the hand. Add water to cover, salt, and cook about an hour, or until leaves are tender and the stuffing is well cooked. Sprinkle with lemon juice, minced garlic and dried mint. Simmer few more minutes.