This fortress was built before the Islamic period. It is a great construction, it has a control tower, a mosque for prayers, and space for accommodation. It was renovated and reconstructed, and additions were made to it. The crusaders renovated its construction. During the Ayyubite period, the great king ‘Issa built a beautifully designed war tower in 610 H / 1213 A.D. This tower is located in the middle of the fortress. During the Mameluke period, the fortress gained great consideration. It acquired an independent representative. Drum music started to be played in it. During the reign of King An Nasser Mohammed Ben Qallawun a mosque was added to it in 710 H / 1310 A.D. Its construction and its entrance were restored during the same period.
It seems that its representation activity was neglected at the end of the Mameluke period. During the Ottoman period, it was restored during the reign of Sultan Suleiman Al Qanuni and a minaret was added to it in 938 H / 1531 A.D. It was restored a second time in 1065 H / 1655 A.D. The reconstruction of the wall of the trench was undertaken in 1144 H / 1731 A.D. Its mosque was renovated in 1151 H / 1738 A.D. It was neglected at the end of the Ottoman period, and became military storage.
The Israeli authorities occupied it after 1967 A.D, and it is still under its authority.