Yehia Awad Abed
Dr. Yehia Abed is a public health physician Educated at Johns Hopkins University - USA, joined Al Quds University - Faculty of public health 1997
- 1966-1973: Faculty of Medicine Assiout University Egypt (M.B.B.CH).
- 1978-1979: The Hebrew University Hadassa Medical School, Jerusalem (MPH)
- 1989-1993: Johns Hopkins University, School of Hygiene and Public Health, Department of Epidemiology Baltimore, Maryland, USA (Dr. P.H.)
Health Policy adviser – Italian Cooperation
Associate Professor of Public Health - School of Public Health - Al Quads University
- Yehia Abed, Malek Qutteina, Aziza Khalidi, & Nora Ingdal (2009) Evaluation of Diakonia/NAD Rehabilitation Programme in West Bank, Gaza Strip and the region (Jordan and Lebanon), Diakonia/NAD
- Yehia Abed (2007): Health Sector Review in Palestine – Italian Cooperation
- Yehia Abed, Mazen Skeik (2006): Evaluation of National Health Management Information System in Yemen – World Bank
- Yehia Abed, Mazen Skeik (2006): Development of the Yemeni National Health Data Dictionary – World Bank.
- Yehia Abed (2006): Child and Infant Mortality, Chapter Six in Health Demography Survey 2004 - PCBS
- 2001 – April 05: Deputy Chief of party
Maram Project – USAID funded project
- 1997 - 2001: Dean School of Public Health. Al Quads University
- 1999: Dean School of Health Profession.
- 1995: Director General Health Planning, Research & Development Administration, Ministry of Health, Palestinian National Authority
- 1994: Director of the Central Units & HMIS Unit in Gaza.
- 1988: Director and Deputy Director General for Primary Health Care, GAZA Strip
- 1986: Director Of Gaza Health Services Research Center, A W.H.O. Collaborating center in the Primary Health Care Research
- 1983: Deputy Director of Primary Health Care
- 1981: Head of Epidemiology and Health Information Center
- 1980: Deputy Director of the preventive Service, Gaza.
- 1973-78: Resident in the pediatric hospital
- 1997- Now: Associate professor – School of Public Health
Al Quds University – “Founder Dean”
- 2000: Acting Dean for Faculty of Health Profession – Al Quds University
- 2002 – 2007: Associate professor – Al Azhar University – Faculty of Medicine – (Public Health – Research Methodology – Community Medicine)
- 1993-97: Al Azhar University - Lecturer in Public Health.
- 1993-97: Quds Open University - Lecturer in Public Health
- 1980-93: School of Nursing Lecturer in Public Health,
- 1976–79: School of Nursing - Lecturer in Infectious Diseases.
SOCIETY & COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIPS
- Co - Chairman of the Beitona Society – Gaza
- Member in the High Scientific committee – Palestinian Medical Council (2008 – Now)
- Member of Helsinki Committee (1991 – Now)
- International Epidemiological Association Fellow
- Member of the Prevention and Safety Society, "GAZA Strip" (1991 till Now)
- Former Member of the scientific Council, GAZA Health Services (1984 – 1993)
- Former Primary Health Care Coordinator in GAZA Strip.
- Former Member of the Child Health Committee (1986 – 96)
- Former Member of the High Risk Pregnancy Committee (1986 – 96)
- Former Member of the Trustees Council, El- Azhar University, Gaza (1992 - 2000 )
COURSES AND CONGRESSES
A. Recent participations:
- Yehia Abed, A/Jabar Tebe, Riad Awad, Jehad Ahmed, Randa Khodari, Surveillance and Risk factors for Hepatitis C in Gaza Strip 2004 – 2006, Medical Education and Public Health in Palestine conference, March 2008 IUG - Gaza
- Yehia Abed, Summary of Health Sector Review in West Bank and Gaza, Medical Education and Public Health in Palestine conference, March 2008 IUG - Gaza
- Rasmiya Ghsoub, Yehia Abed, Evaluation of Current Screening Test for Asymptomatic Bacteriuria during Pregnancy at First Antenatal Visit in Rimal Health Center UNRWA, Gaza 2007, Medical Education and Public Health in Palestine conference, March 2008 IUG - Gaza
- Mohamed Naim, Yehia Abed, Rafat Naim, Prevalence and risk factors for skin diseases in Gaza Strip – Palestine, Medical Education and Public Health in Palestine conference, March 2008 IUG - Gaza
- Reem Shomer, Yehia Abed, Workload measurement in Governmental Primary Health Care Laboratories in Gaza Strip
- Medical Education and Public Health in Palestine conference, March 2008 IUG – Gaza
- Yehia Abed: Nutritional Surveillance in Palestine, Nutrition education: vision, mission and need assessment workshop, Azhar University 6 February 2008
- Yehia Abed (2007): Factors affecting the statistical cycle from data collection to decision making" International Conference on Statistics and development organized by the Central Bureau of Statistics (27-28/3/2007) Ramallah
- Yehia Abed (2007): Nutritional Surveillance in Palestine. Clinical Nutrition workshop, Al Azhar University- Gaza
- Yehia Abed (2006): Statistical findings of the population and development Survey, Ministry of Planning -Gaza
B. Previous participation:
- “Improving Maternity Care, Lessons Learned and Future Directions” March 14-15, 2005 – Amman, Jordan
- A Conference on Child Nutrition in Israel and Palestine - Strategies for Prevention of Micronutrient Deficiencies in the Region, February 2005, Beer Sheva
- Nutrition Policy Analysis and Advocacy in Palestine Using Profiles” Workshop 4-18 August 2004 Amman, Jordan
- Amman International conference on Nutrition: “Nutrition programs: Challenges and Opportunities” 12-16 January 2004, Amman, Jordan
- SURVEILLANCE OF HEPATITIS IN MEDITERRANEAN COUNTRIES, 2nd COORDINATION MEETING, HEPMED NETWORK, European Commission, Research Directorate, INCO-DEV Program, October 4-5, 2003, Tunis
- MARAM partners meeting 21 July 2003 Washington, DC, USA
- Global Health Council 30th Annual Conference: Our Future on common Ground Health and the Environment, 27 – 30 May 2003 Washington, DC, USA
- XXI - International Vitamin A Consultative Group (IVACG) MEETING: “Improving Vitamin A status of populations” AND International Nutrition Anemia Consultative Group (INACG) SYMPOSIUM: “Integrating programs to move Iron deficiency and anemia control forward” 3-9 February 2003 Marrakech, Morocco
- Maram project retreat October 2002 Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
- Participation in Inter-country meeting on Implementing Best Practices (IBP) to Improve Reproductive Health, February 9 – 13, 2002, Cairo, Egypt
- University Research Cooperate (URC) visit and participation in planning for Improved Village Child and Health Services Project (USAID funded project) August 2001 Washington - USA
- Instituto Superior De Sanitarian visit – External MPH examiner Rome - Italy
- Site visits for: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Agency for Toxic Substances and Disney Register (ATSDR), Emory Universities and Carter Center 13-21 August 2000. Atlanta – USA
- Role of WHO Collaborating Centers of the Eastern Mediterranean Region. 9-11 Sep - 1997 Nicosia - Cyprus.
- Health in the Middle East a conference at the University of Michigan Mar. 21-22, 1997 Michigan, USA
- Innovations in Health Care Financing Sponsored by the World Bank Mar. 10-11 1997 Washington, USA
- Institutionalize a Public Health Management Training Curriculum for the Palestinian health Worker (CDC) Atlanta, USA
- Public Health Perspectives for Palestinian Refugees: update, implementation and coordination Jan 28-30 1997 Rome, Italy
- Workshop on Public Health in Palestine Jan 5 - 23, 1997 Bielefeld, Germany.
- European Public Health Association 1996 Annual Meeting 12 - 14 Dec., 1996 London U.K.
- Maximising Arab Maternal Health 2nd MAMH network meeting 4 - 6 Oct., 1996 Amman, Jordan.
- Conclusions Reached at the fourth Meeting of the Middle East Cancer Society (MECS) Mar. 31 - Apr. 1 1996 Larnaca, Cyprus.
- International Conference on Quality Assessment in Health professions education with special emphasis on Social Accountability, Nov. 26th, - Dec.1st, 1995. Philippines.
- Workshop on Re-evaluation of WHO/EMRO National Project and Programs 1996/1997 on Nov. 2nd, 1995.
- Workshop on Management Information System on Oct.23rd -25th, 1995.
- Maximising Arab Maternal Health 1st Meeting MAMH network Meeting Oct., 1995 Cairo, Egypt.
- Conference on Future of the Palestinian Health Research Sept., 18th -21st, 1995.
- The European Research in the Mediterranean, June 30th, 1995, France.
- Acropolis Memorandum Workshop in Athena: Palestinian school of Public Health. June 16th -20th, 1995, Greece.
- Work Shop "Research, Health & Society", March 6th -7th, 1995. Tunis.
- Study Visit, SPRI (Swedish Institute for Health), Dec. 11th-21st, 1994. Sweden.
- Technical Workshop “Public Health Perspectives for Palestinian Refugees in a Period of Transition”, Jan 25th-27th, 1994. Rome
- The First Convention Promoting Regional Cooperation in Medicine & Health, Feb.7th, 1994. Cairo, Egypt
- 4th international symposium on Hypertension in the community. March 9th-12th, 1992. Jerusalem
- Health information and health Policy conducted by school of Public Health.
- W.H.O. Workshop on Health Service Research in West Bank and GAZA 1986-1987.
- International Visitor Program of the North Karelia Project 1987 Finland.
- A Training Program in introduction into computation and operating system Nov., 1987 Gaza.
- International Epidemiological Association Meeting Aug., 1987 Helsinki, Finland.
- Visit to Health facilities in Scotland Edinburgh - U.K.1987.
- W.H.O. briefing 1986 January and Debriefing 1987 Aug. Geneva Switzerland.
- Introduction into computing and programming in basic 1986 Gaza.
- The Second international congress on Disaster Management. Sept. 16th -19th, 1984, Jerusalem.
Academic Supervision By Dr. Yehia Abed
A. Current Master and Doctorate Students supervision:
1. Emad El Awour: Determinants and Risk Factors for Neonatal Mortality in Gaza Strip, SPH – Al Quds University 2009
2. Nedal Ghuneim: Impact of Non-fatal Injuries during Gaza Ware – Rafah Governorate, SPH – Al Quds University 2009
3. Khitam A. Abu Znada: Assessment of the Performance of Blood Bank Laboratories in Gaza Strip during the last Israeli aggression 2008- 2009: Blood Bank Screening and Management of Excess Blood donations, SPH – Al Quds University 2009
4. Khalid Abo Ali: Risk factors for Hepatitis B among pregnant women in North Gaza, SPH – Al Quds University 2009
5. Halema El-Za'neen: Evaluation of the referral System between Primary Health Care Centers and the Maternity Wards at Shifa Hospital, SPH – Al Quds University 2009
6. Heba Khalil Jawada: Nutritional Assessment of Lactating Women in Gaza Strip, College of Pharmacy - Al-Azhar University –Gaza 2009
7. Heba El Mahalawi: Risk factos for stunting among under FIVE children in the north of gaza CITY; CASE control study, College of Pharmacy - Al-Azhar University –Gaza 2009
8. Suad J. Obaid: Nutritional Assessment of Elderly people Aged 60 years or above in Gaza City and North Gaza, College of Pharmacy - Al-Azhar University –Gaza 2009
9. Mohamed Khalil Kheila: Adult Nutritional assessment in Gaza strip, College of Pharmacy - Al-Azhar University –Gaza 2009
10. Rasha Al Agha: Impact of LBP on activities of daily living among women with diagnosed low back pain and attending governmental hospital in Gaza strip, Master Degree in Rehabilitation Science Islamic University 2009
11. Hisham M. Al-Zatma: Risk factors for rehospitalizations among patients in El-wafa Medical Rehabilitation Hospital, Degree in Rehabilitation Science Islamic University 2009
12. Hatem Suliman Mohammed El Dabbakeh: Risk Assessment and Risk Perception of Coronary Heart Disease among University Students in Gaza Strip, , Doctor of Public Health Sciences (Epidemiology) High Institute of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology University of Alexandria – Egypt 2009
13. Abdallah Abudayya: The Nutritional Status among school adolescents (12-15 years) in North Gaza Strip, PhD, Section of Preventive Medicine and Epidemiology, Institute of General Practice and Community Medicine, University of Oslo, Norway 2009.
B. Completed supervision:
14. Najwa Mossleh: Compliance with Iron Supplementation among women during Post Natal Period at UNRWA Clinics in The Gaza Governorates, SPH – Al Quds University 2009
15. Niveen Gadallah: Evaluation of Phenylketonuria and Hypothyroidism Newborn Screening Program in Gaza Governorate SPH – Al Quds University 2009
16. Khalid Abu Saman: Co-payment Effect on Drug Rational Use and Cost Coverage at Governmental PHC in Gaza Governorates, SPH – Al Quds University 2009
17. Eman Motawa: Characterizing Risk indicators associated with Life Cycle of World Bank Health & Water Projects in Gaza Strip, Palestine University 2008
18. Jamalat Al- Majdalawi: Determinants of Obesity among Married Women Attended MCH Clinics – Gaza Strip, SPH – Al Quds University 2008
19. Fuad Luzon: Quality Of Life among Stroke survivors in Gaza Strip, Master Degree in Rehabilitation Science Islamic University 2008
20. Rasmiya Ghsoub: Evaluation of Current Screening Test for Asymptomatic Bacteriuria during Pregnancy at First Antenatal Visit in Rimal Health Center UNRWA, Gaza, (2007) SPH – Al Quds University 2008
21. Reem Abu Shoman: Workload Measurement in Governmental Primary Health Care Medical Laboratories-Gaza Strip, (2007) SPH – Al Quds University 2008
22. Shehta Barhoum Evaluation of Hepatitis B Immunization Program for Children in Gaza Governorates, Palestine, (2007) SPH – Al Quds University 2007
23. Roshdi Rossrous: Risk factors for hepatitis C among Palestinians in Gaza strip, SPH – Al Quds University 2006
24. Ghada Abo Nahla: Knowledge, Attitudes and Practice regarding Family Planning among Palestinian couples in Gaza-Strip, Palestine-, SPH – Al Quds University 2006
25. Rafat Naim: Prevalence of Skin Diseases among Primary Schoolchildren in Gaza Strip, SPH – Al Quds University 2006"
26. Amal Sansor: Environmental Awareness among School Children in Gaza Strip, SPH – Al Quds University 2006
27. Mahmoud Homaed: Prevalence of Salmonella in poultry meat in Gaza city, SPH – Al Quds University 2006
28. Amer Abu Shareaa: Evaluation of Hotel Services which are Provided for Patients at Shifa Hospital Gaza Strip Palestine,تقييم الخدمات الفندقية المقدمة للمرضى في مستشفى دار الشفاء قطاع غزة –فلسطين, عامر أبو شريعة, , SPH – Al Quds University 2005
29. Fayez El-Bahtety: Evaluation of Palestinian Brucellosis Control Program 1998-2001, , SPH – Al Quds University 2005
30. Bassam Shaheen: Assessment of antenatal care services provided at MOH and UNRWA clinics in Gaza province, , MCH Program SPH – Al Quds University, 2005
31. Lames Abu Haloub: Dental Fluorosis and Associated Risk Factors Among Palestinian Children in Gaza Governorates, SPH – Al Quds University 2004
32. Samah El Sabah: Unintentional Injuries among children in Gaza Strip: An Epidemiological Assessment, SPH – Al Quds University 2004
33. Iyad Nassr: A Description of the Current Sexual Rehabilitation Services and Information Provided to Paraplegic Males of the Gaza Strip Aged Between 16 and 45 Years, SPH – Al Quds University, 2004
34. Nahed Eid: The association between early marriage and pre-maturity among newborns in Gaza Governorates, SPH – Al Quds University, 2004
35. Mouein Abu-Ramdan: Risk factors associated with diabetes mellitus type 2 in Gaza, , SPH – Al Quds University 2004
36. Basel El Ganoa: Effect of health education program on prevalence of intestinal parasites among school children, (Agsa jointly with Ein Shams University 2004
37. Khetam Abu Hamad: Risk factors associated with preterm birth in the Gaza Strip, SPH – Al Quds University 2003
38. Mohamed Bessiso: Prevalence of anemia among pregnant women who attended governmental primary health care centers in Gaza Strip, 2001, SPH – Al Quds University 2003
39. Reema El-Keshaoy: Gender variation in risk factors for anemia among Palestinian children, SPH – Al Quds University 2003
40. Silvia El Hassanat: The title will be checked, SPH (WB) – Al Quds University 2003
41. Manal El Moghaber دراسة تقويمية لواقع التربية الصحية فى مدارس المرحلة الأساسية بمحافظات غزة فى ضوء اتجاهات تربوية معاصرة (Faculty of Education, Al Azhar University 2003
42. Jehad El-Hessy: Impact of family planning programs on child health Gaza strip, Palestine, SPH – Al Quds University 2002
43. Hanan Diab: Job Satisfaction among employed dentists in the Gaza Strip-Palestine, SPH – Al Quds University 2002
44. Samar El-Khodary: The use of antibiotics in pediatrics’ acute respiratory infections in primary health care centers in Gaza Strip, SPH – Al Quds University 2002
45. Amjad El-Shanty: Maternal risk factors associated with low birth weight in Gaza Strip, SPH – Al Quds University 2002
46. Mahmoud Daher: Relation between Anemia and school performance among school child in the Gaza Strip, SPH – Al Quds University 2002
47. Hassan Juda: Impact of Family Planning Programs on the Quality of Women’s Life in the Gaza Strip, SPH – Al Quds University (2002)
48. Ayesh Samor: Prevalence and risk factors of postpartum depress in Gaza-Strip Palestine, CMH Program SPH – Al Quds University 2002
49. Amira Shaheen: Knowledge, Attitude and Practice Among Farm workers Applying Palestine of a Cultivated Area in Jericho District, , SPH (WB) – Al Quds University 2002
50. Raeed Abu-Warda: Compliance with Diabetes Regimen Therapy Among Diabetic Patients Attending Governmental PHC Centres in Gaza Strip, Palestine, Instituto Superior De Sanitarian Rome, Italy 2002
51. Abed –Rahman Omar: Evaluation of mental health services in Gaza Strip, Palestine 1999, SPH – Al Quds University 2001
52. Hassan Abu Tawela: Patients with acute myocardial infarction: cardiac risk factor profiles presentation, thrombolysis and outcome Gaza- Palestine 2001, SPH – Al Quds University 2001
53. Sady Abu Awad: Risk factors associated with rickets among Gaza children under three years old, a clinic based case control study, SPH – Al Quds University 2000
54. Amal El Batsh: Prevalence of dental caries and its associated factors in 7th class school children in Gaza provinces, SPH – Al Quds University, 2000
55. Hatem Dabaka: Coronary heart disease risk factors assessment among adult population in Gaza Strip, Hospital Based case-control study, SPH – Al Quds University 2000
56. Akram Amro: Stroke Risk Factors in Hebron city- Al- Ahli Hospital, SPH (WB) – Al Quds University 2000
57. Ryiad Awad: Adverse events following immunization (AEFI) BCG vaccination , and post BCG complication among Palestinian infants and children in the Gaza strip, SPH – Al Quds University 1999
58. Mazen Skeik: Evaluation the Health Status in the Gaza Strip. Degree of Implementation of the Global Strategy of Health For all By the Year 2000, تقييم الوضع الصحي في قطاع غزة في إطار استراتيجية منظمة الصحة العالمية توفير الصحة للجميع بحلول سنة 2000, SPH – Al Quds University 1999
59. Faraj Abu Raya: Prevalence of low back pain among health professionals at health department, UNRWA, Gaza field, SPH – Al Quds University 1999
60. Nasser Jasser: Compliance of diabetic patients with treatment regimen of diabetes at UNRWA health centers in Gaza Strip, Palestine-1999, SPH – Al Quds University 1999
61. Customary consanguineous marriage, and its Impact in Gaza Strip, , SPH – Al Quds University 1999
62. Mouien Karerry: Evaluation of phenylketonuria program on the Gaza Strip, Nabegha Abu Shahla, SPH – Al Quds University 1999
63. Sameer Ziara: Assessment of kindergarten children health in the southern provinces of Palestine, in the scholastic year 1998/99, SPH – Al Quds University 1999
64. Sali Balata (health profession- Al Quds) Maternal Mortality in Gaza Strip, 1997, Faculty of Health Profession – Al Quds University 1997
Publications: Too much to be listed here.
Tel: 970 8 2476333
Mobile: 0599 40 43 44