Tulkarm Refugee Camp
Tulkarm camp is the second largest camp in the West Bank.
Its original refugees came from villages and cities in the Haifa, Jaffa and Kissaria areas. The camp came under Palestinian Authority control in 1995. Like other West Bank camps, it was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan.
Where is Tulkarm Camp Located?
Tulkarm camp was established in 1950, it is located on 0.18 square kilometres within the municipal boundaries of Tulkarm on the western edge of the West Bank.
All shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure. The sewerage system is insufficient, since heavy rains in winter cause old sewage lines to flood dirty water, especially in the areas where the schools are located.
Over a third of residents are unemployed.
About Tulkarm Camp
- More than 18,000 UNRWA registered refugees
- Five schools, one running double shifts
- One food distribution centre
- One UNRWA health centre, two others
- One women’s programme centre