Beit Jibrin Refugee Camp
It is the smallest West Bank camp, covering only 0.02 square kilometres. The camp’s original residents came from the destroyed village of Beit Jibrin, on the western hills of Hebron. The camp is also often called the Azzeh camp, since more than 60 per cent of the camp’s residents descend from the Azzeh family. Like other West Bank camps, it was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan.
Where is Beit Jibrin Camp Located?
Beit Jibrin was established in 1950, it is located in the heart of Bethlehem.
The camp's residents receive services from UNRWA installations in the nearby Aida refugee camp and the UNRWA sub-area office in Bethlehem. The UNRWA camp services office is also based in Aida camp.
Following the Israeli army redeployment in 1995, the camp came under Palestinian Authority control.
All shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure.
The unemployment rate is 30 per cent and is affected by the increased inaccessibility of the Israeli labour market.
About Beit Jibrin Camp
- Over 1,000 UNRWA registered refugees
- Boys attend the boys’ school in Aida
- Girls attend the girls’ school in Dheisheh
- Patients use the health facilities in Dheisheh